Sunday, June 10, 2012

Primal

I had text-ed my doctor one day asking her what I was doing wrong because it had been a couple weeks where I had been at the same weight and was getting discouraged. She told me to read a book called "Primal Blueprint". Now, I trust her 100% and know she has my best interest. BUT I'm not a reader. I've started MANY books, and never end them. I just don't like to read! But I know if she's telling me to read this-there must be a reason... So I order it on amazon.com. I'm interested in it, just not looking forward to the reading aspect of it all! I then start to do a little research on what it is. So I get the definition of primal and it reads:
"first; original; primeval: primal eras before the appearance of life on earth." I google the book and get some reviews on it, seems interesting. I'm learning that the book is about eating like the primal  people (caveman-ish people)?!?! I'm not sooo sure about this! 
I get the book in the mail and open it up just to read a few things from it, check it out, etc. One of the first pages compares Conventional Wisdom vs. The Primal Blueprint. Very interesting and very valid points on the Primal views. I don't have much time to read at that moment, but now, I'm getting interested. 
The book from the get go is saying no grains-NONE! I'm thinking, there's no wayyy I can do this. Does my Doctor seriously eat primal?!?! The answer is YES!
I read part of the 1st chapter-and its very interesting, however, I'm not sure I can live this way. I know I've changed a lot, but going primal? Not sure its my thing... 

The book sat for a week or two and again I text my doctor asking what I'm doing wrong and give her a break down or what I'm eating. She says nothing, I'm doing perfect... However, I still pick at things I'm not suppose to, still eating some carbs (brown rice, chipotle (sodium) carbs (natural chips, etc...). Since I'm not losing how I want I decide no carbs for 2 weeks along with no fruit, except berries and an apple after 3 pm. I also decide to jump back into the book. Not sure what happened this time around, but I got a huge liking to the idea of primal eating (no grains, sugars or legumes.) It was interesting to read how food effects what happens in the body, to your insulin and blood glucose. I instantly became addicted to this book and what it was teaching me! It broke everything down!

I got rid all my grains, sugars and legumes-I had brown rice, black beans and corn in the house. There aren't too many changes I have to make to my eating lifestyle, but there are still changes that are definitely challenges. NO grains at all! I'm already down two pounds though since starting :-) So we'll see how this goes! There is obviously a lot more to living a primal lifestyle, and I'm not done with the book yet-so I'm still learning :-)

 My primal skills were put to the test when we had a birthday party this weekend! Its very hard to be surrounded by hamburgers and hot dogs, cake and ice cream. Luckily they had a lot of fruit and veggies which I ate! After about 5 hours of a hamburger staring at me. I caved. Hamburger isn't bad according to the primal lifestyle-however they prefer organic. And I, on my own have cut out red meat, and do only organic meats. But I ate the hamburger anyway (no bun, only mustard). It was good for the 60 seconds it took me to eat it, until I got sick from it. My body has gotten so used to organic white meats (Chicken, turkey, ground turkey) that when I stray away from that, I tend to not feel well :-( Other than the 1 hamburger, I feel great about what I ate :-)

The book is on amazon.com (Primal Blueprint) if any of you are interested. If you have any questions, feel free to ask!

No comments:

Post a Comment